10 November 2010

advent calendars on etsy!

For the past few years, I've been making these pyramid garlands as an advent calendar. I fill them with good dark chocolate and I munch my way through December. They look so very cheery hanging from the mantel, though I used to hang them between two bookcases in the days before I had a fireplace.

This year I've come up with an improved template and two new designs. And if you'd like to have a forest of little pyramids of your very own, now you can purchase the kit on etsy! I'm selling them as PDF downloads--you just print and assemble. I will admit that by the 24th pyramid, your scissors hand will be a bit sore. But it's so worth it in the end, to see your little line of trees appear.

The "Starry Trees" design is new, and I love the way it looks hanging from this fallen branch. It was very odd--I had this vague notion that a tree branch would look cool, so I walked out into the backyard and immediately picked up this branch. Perfect size, knobby branches, lovely bark color. The stars are obviously aligned for the Starry Tree Advent Calendar.

The Mod Trees design is similar to the classic one I first made a few years ago. Lime green and red is about the perfect combination.

And I will point out that a Lindt truffle fits perfectly inside a pyramid. I alternate the white chocolate with the dark chocolate. One of these years I am going to tuck in little notes or toys instead of chocolate. Maybe. Probably not.

Happy counting down!

9 comments:

Jennie said...

Oooh! I love the starry trees design! :) Just have to figure out where to hang it -- our little wood stove doesn't have a mantel. Maybe on the wall behind...

Amanda said...

I just wanted to stop by and let you know that I linked to this post today from the Home & Garden channel at Craft Gossip. :)

Your feature will appear in the main Craft Gossip RSS feed, on the main home page and can be found directly here
http://homeandgarden.craftgossip.com/pyramid-tree-advent-calendar/

If you would like a "featured by" button, you can grab one here!
http://homeandgarden.craftgossip.com/grab-a-craft-gossip-button/

Cote Studio said...

I adore the mod tree design. A yummy gift for 24 days...love it! Love your blog, too! :)

Craftiness NOW said...

so adorable, i'm going to check out your etsy shop!

One Second Needle said...

What a great Advent calendar. Thanks for sharing this with us.

JULIE ♥ ADORE said...

Hi, Julie , i speak about your calendar here http://www.typlume-graphine.com/

we adore!!!

Janna said...

Hi there -- I'd love to include this craft in a roundup on Parents.com. Can you email me so I can get your official permission and tell you more about the project?
jannaoberdorf at gmail dot com

Anonymous said...

I love them! To Jennie, maybe you could hang them on your christmas tree, or possibly if your stove is on an upraised platform, the side of the platform. I have a wood stove, too.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful idea!! Where can i download your tutorial? Is not available anymore on etsy! :(

Thanks!
Simona