15 November 2006

dove ornament



I made this little dove as a prototype for my contribution to the Holiday Ornament Swap. I think it's a no-go because it was pretty time-consuming. And he's wonky. He kind of lists to one side or the other in a drunken fashion. Poor little dove.



I have a renewed respect for soft toy makers. Because it sure ain't easy. My first attempt had an itty bitty nub of a head and a huge long tail. Twin laughed. I laughed. There was much laughing.

I took the picture in my neighbor's yard this morning. Note the Christmas lights. No, he's not early with his decorating. Those are from last year. Because really why restring them every year? Unnecessary bother.

It's been gray and rainy in NYC. This evening walking home it was foggy and heavy and just threatening to begin raining again. I love the way the low cloud cover is like a dome over your head that reflects all the city light back down toward the ground. Like we're living in one of those snowglobes. With smog and lights and people swirling about, and the tall buildings on all sides reaching up into the clouds. Pretty cool.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, he doesn't look that wonky in the pics! I think he's cute.

Great fog pics.

Anonymous said...

Julie, I like the dove! But I know what you mean about respecting soft toy makers...I have been working on this sock dog for what seems like forever and she is so sorry looking! Oh well - live and learn.

beki said...

Soft toys are hard. I've only made a few, and that's the reason why! I do think that yours looks great - lots of personality.

Anonymous said...

great city photos / you are really making me miss NYC today...

Anonymous said...

I think he's sweet. I bet if you made one more, you'd have the perfect specimen--and then five more for your swap... You'd be hawking them on street corners before you know it.

Anonymous said...

Love your photos of the city.

And love your little dove. I little dove family would have been cute [this is coming from someone who has never attempted a softie], but looks pretty labor intensive.

elizabeth said...

i personally think your dove is devine!!!

sulu-design said...

The dove is gorgeous - such graceful lines! And your pictures of NYC are beautifully moody.

Anonymous said...

Nice dove! Love the flower on his back.
And the other wonderful thing about fog is what it does to sound: like walking in a sound-proofed world. It just swallows a lot of ambient noise and heightens what's near to you.

hannah said...

stop teasing us with your cute softies and that sexy city of yours.

Anonymous said...

me gusta el pajaro y tus fotografias tambien. muy bien, zemo, muy bien.

tu amigo,
pip.

Belinda said...

I think your dove is adorable..even if it is a no go.

Anonymous said...

I love a wonky softie. I started with some softie ideas too for the swap...but agree with you about the time...and then the postage as well.

I really like your tipsy bird.

amy said...

i love the dove! i think you should embrace the wonkiness!